Sunday, August 20, 2017

Recent pots

The batch of pots below are from a glaze firing in late June
Add caption

...trying an old crystal glace I had on hand.

This was a commission. It has holes for candles

a batch of bowls from a March firing, for the Empty Bowls charity event

dessert plates for my daughter in law, who gave me some flexible plastic leaves to make impressions with

Some great yellow glaze I forgot I had!

about 11" in diameter

This is a small urn for a small dog, much beloved by a friend.

11" in diameter


Sunday, October 30, 2016

Collage, Cypress Gallery Fall Show

This is a collage I entered in the Fall Show at the Cypress Gallery here in Lompoc.
It got the blue ribbon in the 3-D category.  (have to admit-there were not very many entries in that category this time).  The title of the piece is "Under The Sun". To me, it shows commonality co-existing with diversity: unique content, all encircled.  Never mind, philosophy aside, it was fun to put together, using odds and ends I'd saved.  The size is 24x24 inches- a friend gave me the frame. It has glass-there are reflections in the right hand corner.  There is just half an inch clearance for the items.

Drip Tests

These 4 pictures show a test I did in a glaze firing.  I made 2 pots, bisqued them and applied a glaze after waxing the bottoms and top rims. They were fired in the position of the pot on the right, showing dried glaze flakes in 3 colors, intended to melt during the firing.
This one worked fine,  Looks like I held the kiln temp. for about the right amount of time for the glaze to run down all the way.  Notice the little bumps of glaze on the drip ring, where they solidified when the heat was lowered.

This one had a problem: some of the holes in the drip ring were too close to the edge of the pot, and glaze had glued it to the pot.  So this picture shows how I set it up to refire, expecting the drip ring to drop onto the round clay slab, as the glaze re-melted.  

It worked!  the drip ring dropped down. However, the glazes now ran the opposite way, and too far- past the foot of the pot. I want to keep them, however, so will make some kind of a base for the pot. Meanwhile, this glass ashtray supports the pot as a temporary base.

Saturday, September 03, 2016


These pots are from 2 glaze firings done in late August.  I'm back to claywork after a long hiatus, and loving it!  I have a lot of things on my "Make" list.
5.5" high, 

Handbuilt, not thrown. Shaped over an inverted plastic pot...kind of fun for a change.
It is 11 inches high, and 14 acrosss

about 9" in diameter

This one is 6.5" tall

two views of a 11" bowl

I did a lot of handwork on this one; sometimes it's just a contemplative  thing to do.

9" in diameter

7" high

6" diameter

...made for a friend 

10" diameter

These were too pale so I dipped them in blue and refired.

8" tall vase, pale yellow

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Catching up....

10" high, eucalyptus seed imprints
I haven't posted on this blog for a long time, so have uploaded a bunch of pictures of pots made during this past year. Will not bother dating them. The two above are about 6" in diameter.

Some bowls I made for a charity event- "Empty Bowls project"

This looks yellow here, but it's a soft peach color. 10" high

Have to keep this one; it has a hairline short crack on the inside bottom. Oranges look good in it anyway.

Two views of a handbuilt vase with a thrown top portion. I have this cool textured rubber mat, and used it on a slab, for the cylinder. I left al the "marks of making" this time. 12" high

I call this "Travelers" (had to call it something, to be in a judged show) because the oval shapes reminded me of cars going along a rough road.  
6 celdon cups made to order for a friend
Our new house numbers

- an order: this was not so easy to make!

The body of the pot is about 7" across. The bright color is from an encapsulated stain.

...about 5" across

Garlic jar made for one of my daughters, per her request.

10" in diameter

Add ca

4 pots for succulents

These eggs and small pots are only bisqued

an experiment with "lunch meat jerky" Some were tasty, some not so much.